Special Interest Music is an intensive course available to students with a keen interest, ability and passion for music and music-making. Applications are open for students currently learning any instrument, including voice, or who have an ability and passion for music. Entry to this course is by audition only. Students accepted in to the Special Interest Music Program study two lines of music every semester, as well as other school core and elective subjects.
As outlined in our brochure, students selected for this course are:
- Extended musically by receiving four additional classroom music lessons in which they study composition, jazz, solo performance, music studies and music technology.
- Entitled to receive financial subsidy towards the cost of private tuition on one instrument.
- Provided with free lessons on one instrument.
- Strongly encouraged to learn two instruments to broaden their skills acquisition.
- Expected to participate in co-curricular performance groups and continue Special and Contemporary Music through to Year 12..
- The opportunity to apply for other music scholarships, including the Colin Oliver Wyatt Scholarship worth $4500 over three years (awarded to one senior PIC student every year).
Special Interest Music students also participate in sponsored intra and interstate travel, have the opportunity to perform at high profile public events and work with music industry professionals.
Successful Special Interest Music applicants are guaranteed enrolment into Playford International College, regardless of conventional school zoning.