Design & Technology
- Subject Type
- Core Curriculum
- SACE Credits
- Area of Study
- Design & Technology
- Subject Length
- 1 Semester
Students develop an in depth understanding of programming, robotics, Computer Aided Design (CAD), 3D printing and electronics through focusing on a theme. This year’s theme is ‘responding to a crisis’ where students will focus on the sustainability of products and our connection with Asia by creating projects with a strong design focus while using higher order thinking to develop real world solutions.
- Robotics/ Programing – students will program Edison Robots to follow a path and deliver food in need. (Simulating delivering food to those in need in a crisis/ dangerous area.)
- CAD / 3D printing – Students will create structures to capture food parcels being dropped from a significant height (simulating food parcel delivery systems.)
- Electronics – Students will use circuit boards and basic electronics to create a flashlight for emergency situations.
- Folio (Investigation task, folio, development of ideas, evidence and evaluation (40%)
- Robotics and programming (programming the Edison Robots) (20%)
- CAD/3D printing (3D printed food parcel system) (20%)
- Electronics (Emergency flashlight) (20%)
- Evaluation (10%)
The course aims to prepare students for all Design and Technology electives, VET pathways and multiple career pathways.